social and environmental sustainability policy
At Windjammer-Landing, the owners, management and staff of the resort endeavor to exceed the guests' expectations in a secluded and beautiful section of the island celebrating the hues of blue of the bay while nestled in the rainforest environment. This allows us to deliver peace and tranquility in a setting that promotes the natural – from the warmth of the green landscape of Caribbean woods that form a backdrop for the resort, to the flavors of the cuisine that we serve in the various restaurants. With amenities such as spa and secluded pools that provide a haven for those who desire to be in harmony with nature and immerse themselves in a restorative and reviving place of natural beauty assisted by staff trained and committed to delivering the highest quality of service. In truth, the values at the core of the resort embody the importance of having a healthy environment for guests and staff alike, recognizing that this produces the best output for our business.
In our efforts to operate in accordance with the principles of sustainability, we, the Management and team members of Windjammer -Landing, have embraced the following goals and objectives:
- To manage all natural resources and non-renewable products in a sustainable manner;
- To ensure that environmental considerations are integrated into the business’ decision-making processes using the triple-bottom-line model, encompassing environmental, social and economic concerns;
- To address waste management in accordance with the 5R principles - Re-THINK, Re- PURPOSE, Re-DUCE, Re-USE and Re-CYCLE, in accordance with addressing issues identified a-s a small island;
- To seek the support of suppliers and other stakeholders in our efforts to minimize the production of waste, while maximizing the efficient and wise use of the natural resources we require for our operations;
- To foster social and environmental initiatives towards community development and, by extension, national development;
- To operate in such a way as to satisfy the legislative framework and regulations of the island of St Lucia in compliance with stated policies for the property (purchasing, mission statement, etc), and advocate, whenever possible, for a more sustainable framework for the development of the island;
- To conduct operations in accordance with labor codes of practice and to ensure the property adheres to stated international guidelines (ILO), while treating staff in a manner that exceeds these protocols;
- To provide healthy, nutritious meals and, as far as possible, use local and traditional sources that will enhance the quality of the cuisine while ensuring guest satisfaction and safety
- To foster the development the organic garden that provides the kitchen with produce
- To implement programs and activities to reduce the carbon footprint of the property and associated carbon miles;
- To do all within our power to conserve the natural ecosystems and habitats surrounding the property, with special concern for the forest within which the facility lies;
- To make all stakeholders, staff, guests and suppliers aware of the environmental policies and procedures associated with our immediate environs;
- To engage all relevant parties and the community, wherever possible, in environmental awareness training;
- To act responsibly in addressing our environmental performance through the development and maintenance of an adequate system of management which includes measurement, assessments and continuous improvement;
- To continue to employ individuals from the surrounding community to promote economic and social growth, while providing them with a work environment where they can aspire to achieve their potential at all levels within the company;
- To support the local community and national development by committing to the purchase of local goods and services, providing they have no adverse effect on the hotel’s general operations or have a negative environmental or social impact;
- To provide relevant local, regional and international agencies with yearly performance data on request (eg SLHTA, CAST, Green Globe)
By committing to these measures and principles, Windjammer-Landing Villa Beach Resort will be a hallmark facility for sustainable tourism in St Lucia and the wider Caribbean, while continuing to meet the highest standards of guest service quality.
We have recently achieved Green Globe certification, showcasing our commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility.